John A. BonelloI write, therefore I am
New ReleasesAvailable on Amazon
A story set in a dystopian future, where a tiny remnant of humanity struggle to survive in the shadow of a mysterious impenetrable tower.
Irvin VellaVirtual Investigator
The Manduca Case
Strange things are happening inside Villa Manduca. But is the mansion really haunted or is it just a clever ploy to get the old owners to move out? Let aspiring detective Irvin Vella figure it out with the help of his twin cousins, Luca and Laura.
Publisher: Merlin 2015
Unus MundusThe Books of the Seraph, a duology
Il-Logħba tal-AllatThe Game of the Gods, a trilogy
The Six, book III of The Game of the Gods
Under the rule of Baàl, King of Darkness and god of time, the Children of the Night are gathering on all the worlds to answer their master's call. The eclipse that will change history forever is drawing near.
Publisher: Merlin 2012
What readers sayHere are some amazing messages I received from my readers
I want to tell you well done for your strong depiction of setting which is evident from the first to the last page of the trilogy. Even when you don't describe the scene, you can feel the setting as a perpetual presence, which I must say is the main character in your novels - Alex Vella Gera, Author
I love your story. Many elements remind me of other authors I like, like C.S Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and J.K. Rowling. Since I am a primary school teacher, I follow authors who write for children and yound adults. I admire your skill at writing and exploring fantastical new worlds.
My brother gave me the first two books in your series as a birthday present and I literally breezed through them! (Finished both in 2 weeks) It is the best read in Maltese I have had in years! I could not put either of them down! I am really looking forward to the 3rd one now! Well done and thanks for the great hours of pleasurable reading!
Thank you for filling my lunchtime breaks during the past seven months (I used to sit on a bench in the shade of the trees by the Luqa church) with fantasy and day to day expectation of what's going to happen next. I wish I was younger when I read your books–my imagination used to be much wider than it is today. I recommend your Game of the Gods trilogy to all Young Adult Maltese readers who have fantasy at heart.
Thank you for visiting this space. If you're here, most probably you love books. And books are also my passion. I write the stories I like to hear and read.
Fantasy is the genre I'm most passionate about, but I like to experiment and explore other literary styles as well.
The following are some of the awards I won:
- The first book I ever published was It-Tielet Qamar (First Quarter), in 2008, and in that same year I was given the Ġieħ Ħad-Dingli award for my contribution to literature.
- My second book, L-Aħħar Ħolma (The Wise Man's Dream), won the Prose for Young Adults category in the National Book Awards of 2010.
- With my third book, Is-Sitt Aħwa (The Six), I won again the Prose for Young Adults category in the National Book Awards of 2012.
- Fil-Mergħat tal-Impossibbli (In the Pastures of Impossiblity), was one of the four finalists in the Novels for Adults category in the National Book Awards of 2014.
- My first book for children, Il-Każ Manduca (The Manduca Case, Virtual Investigator #01), (In the Pastures of Impossiblity), won the Books for Children 8 - 12 category in the National Book Awards of 2015.
Apart from my novels, I have also written a number of short stories which have been included in various publications. These include:
- The Transmissions - an online serial story published in 100 word episodes on medium.com. Set in a distant future, the story is told in the voice of a man everyone calls ‘Left’. Here's a review by Ramona Depares #thetransmissions
- Is-Saħħara t'Għajn Tuffieħa (The Witch of Għajn Tuffieħa)- a story published in the book Djamantini (Little Diamonds), a project created by the Maltese Department within Santa Klara College in aid of the children with the Rainbow Ward in Mater Dei Hospital.
- Il-Ħabs tal-Mirja (The Prison of Mirrors) - a story about magic, deceit and love, published in issue 35 of Leħen il-Malti (The Maltese Voice)
- Bint l-Irjieħ (Daughter of the Winds)- a story that appeared in issue 34 storja li dehret fil-ħarġa nru 34 tof Leħen il-Malti (The Maltese Voice)
- It-Tifla li Qalbet il-Muntanja Rasha 'l Isfel (The Girl Who Turned the Mountain Upside Down) - a story for children 7 to 10, selected by MeStories, a student organisation forming part of Young Enterprise. The aim of the project was to publish a number of short stories in electronic and audio format in the form of an app for the iOS platform. This can be found here: https://itunes.apple.com/mt/app/mestories/id807062938?mt=8
- Karozza bħal tagħha (A Car Like Hers) - first published in Maltese in issue 33 of Leħen il-Malti (The Maltese Voice), later translated into English as part of the Meditterenean Festival of Literature.
- Vjaġġ ta' Darba (One Way Trip)- a sci-fi short story published in 3.MT, a school book for junior students.
- Sinna (Tooth) (14 June 2014) and Buffura Kliem (A Gust of Words) (11 October 2014) - 2 short stories publised on the Facebook page Għidli Mitejn (Tell me 200). The eBook is available for free download from this link: http://www.gorgmallia.com/200.htm
- QUA - one of 10 stories in the book Awguri Giovanni Bonello published Merlin Publishers in 2017. This is a fantasy tale about two historical figures that left their mark in Maltese history, Mattew 'The Wizard' Falzon and the French Bishop Nicolas Bonet.